Wednesday, July 23, 2014

52-Week Illustration Challenge, Week 30

My US holiday continues! Ironically, this Sydneysider is still reporting live from Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, as my US holiday continues. This week, I spent about four extended sessions (sketching, outlining, painting, final touches) on a project that bounced into my head the moment I saw an ArtiCrafti brand moulded "koala canvas mask" in a Dollar King bargain store - for just $2.50 - a few months ago. I had to carefully pack and bring it OS with me, much to my penpal host's delight, who enjoyed watching the artwork emerge from my brain! The mask is decorated with images of Sydney in black ball-point ink and watercolour.

Week 30 Sydney, angle 1
Week 30: Sydney

Week 30 Sydney, angle 2

Week 30 Sydney, angle 3

Week 30 Sydney, angle 4

The mask is decorated with 3D detail, which includes yellow pompons for wattle flowers, white Tulip brand "puffy dimensional fabric paint" for seagulls and wave crests, and a toothpick flag.

Update:

Week 30 Sydney with Olivia
Above: As modelled by my Ann Arbor penpal, Olivia!

Week 30 Sydney in shadow box
Framed in a shadowbox

No comments: